Finding Superman

A Boring Super person

I don't like Superman. There, I confess. I just don't like him. I remember having a debate about why I even liked the cheap imitation rip off "Superman" played by Will Smith in "Hancock" better because he was Superman with personality. There in lies my reason, he lacks personality. I would say that the shell of a being that Superman tries to hide behind is really himself. He is that square glassed, mono chromatic colored suit wearing snore called Clark Kent. Yep, that is the real Superman right there. Why would anyone care to get to know him? Why would anyone bother to call out for him unless they were falling from a build or crashing to the ground in a commercial air plan? I wouldn't care to ask Superman for anything else than to save me either, because he is boring. I have another confession to make. I lied. I used to not like Superman, but now after spending time with God. I do. I really really do.

A Terrible Disguise

God seems to really give off an interesting impression to people. I heard a lot of adjectives: boring, mechanistic, old, homophobic, too small, too big, cold, etc. But I think the adjective that really endures is boring. I think most people think God (Jesus if I may add) is just uninteresting and irrelevant to the fast changing world. He is old school. clueless and post modern. Okay I am done with the adjectives, promise! For some reason, though, I think of one man when I try to stick a visual to what people think of God; Clark Kent.  He is a seemingly uninteresting person with hidden immense power, behind very square glasses. He is also I think a perfect persona of who God is to us. No one thinks Clark is interesting, I didnt. I wonder though, was the disguise really that bad or did Superman know that most people would not suspect such an unsuspecting individual to be so worthy of interest? Did he know that most people would not be able to notice power (or even beauty) even if it was looking at them right in the face, with square glasses?

Finding Superman

I am guilty. I am guilty of passing by the beautiful things and the marvelous and not noticing God was staring back at me. So many times I have seen God as Clark Kent. Just not interesting enough to talk to, to ask the big questions that hit my heart. I am guilty. I am guilty of not seeing Him as big enough to handle my intellect or to shoulder my burdens. I pass Him by, not suspecting the unsuspecting as being powerful. Yet, when I am falling off my "cliffs" Clark Kent throws off his glasses, rips off those terrible mono chromatic cloths and comes to save me. Every time. And every time when I am in true trouble, I loose my pride and I cry out for him to save. Every time. And Every time when I am saved and all is back to normal, or presumably, I see Clark as boring again. Unsuspecting. Boring. Too small. Irrelevant. Hmm...You know, I wonder if Clark Kent also wanted his disguise to be so terrible because he knew that those who really wanted to find out who he was would do so anyway. That if they were really looking they would see him, his power. That may just be a fantasy thought (haha) but it is still interesting. To me. God I see you behind your cheap disguise, hoping that I see you. The cat only catches the Mouse because the Mouse is the only one really hoping to be found. Save me, Superman.

"You will seek me and find me if you seek  me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13


Comments

  1. It is incredibly easy to miss God in day to day life. I think one reason I love being outside so much is that it is easier for me to see God in his creation which tends to be amazing and beautiful and not mundane. But your right in ordinary day to day life it seems that when it is going well it is easy to take God forgranted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cactus! Thanks for you awesome thoughts! It encourages me to keep blogging :). And you are also right in that being outside is a great way to connect. I wrote this blog post in fact after reflecting over a time I spent earlier that day out with God on a little hike in the park, of in the woods. It is amazing how that happens, how we can connect with God in being in nature.

      Delete

Post a Comment