Demons Masquerading In Lights – Politics And The Good Being The Enemy Of The Greater.

Ever since I was a boy I have always been drawn to the cautionary tale of the Tortious and the Hare. We all know the story. The lesson learned from it is so known that it is woven within our social conscious as people in America and even across the world. All we have to do is say, “you know, the tortious and the hare” and we all get it instantly. Slow goes the race, right? Well, I confess that I have always been fascinated with the story since childhood because of how nonsensical it was, and still is, to me at times. How can a hare or rabbit ever lose in a race with a turtle? Rabbits are fast, way faster. The story at its core just doesn’t make sense to me. However, when I remember the moral of the story it argues against my rational mind and I concede that, “yes, I suppose it does make sense after all” with a twisting of my own arm I do this. We all remember how the story goes, the hare continued to fall and veer to every distraction along the path while the tortoise stayed fixed on the path and destination, and as an accumulative effect of this process the turtle won the race. I twist my arm to believe this story every time. Somewhere in my heart and mind I resist it’s truth. There are so many distractions out there and they all look so tempting to veer away from the course. Somewhere in me I just cant believe the hare would really lose. Somewhere in me I also just want the hare to win. Life, rabbits, and people that get side tracked by adventures are just more fun.

At an inner city non-profit where I work I spend a lot of time with inner city youth that my co-workers and I bring to the facility. In many conversations I notice often that eliminating distractions is the key to having any form of interaction with them. If it is not a phone constantly buzzing in their pockets or hands it’s a random thought, bird, person standing on a corner, squirrel, or car driving by that will not just slow their focus but rather completely arrest it away from a conversation or task we are doing at the time. So I find myself constantly having to do course correcting, and it is very tiring. And I also realize that this is just because they are kids. But is that fully true? Is there something else going on in our culture that is unseen that contributes to a sort of cultural ADD? Often times while doing “course corrections” with the youth I mentor I get reminded from God that if I did not do this the “little hares” would never make it across the finish lines for that day, they just wouldn’t make it. Also, however, I am noticing the same distractions happening to adults, to me, and even to our country due to the same source of distraction, that buzzing thing in our pockets or since we are adults we can also add the “news” or social media outlets as well. We are stumbling around and losing course of our daily paths. Furthermore, in talking to my fellow Christian audience via this blog post I believe that we are losing the race that God has set out for us by doing this as well. We are making the good become the enemy of the greater.

I spent some time over a few days dialoguing with a friend of mine via text message lately. He, who I will call Marcus, was too busy to talk. The reason why we even started “communicating” was because I felt God leading me to reach out to him. It wasn’t any particular reason, just a feeling and voice deep in my heart. So I texted, “Hey, had you on my heart lately. How’s it been?” What followed was a long texting thread of concerns from my old friend about what seemed to mainly center on a sort of mid life faith crisis centering around politics and current world events. I instantly became concerned as I read every line of Marcus’s text wanting so much to instantly transport him and I to a neutral place, a place outside the noise of this life, a place outside time and space even, a place outside the vacuum to just sit and talk human to human. Heart to heart. But that didn’t happen and still hasn’t. Eventually I called to only hear a voicemail response and later more text messages from Marcus explaining to me his busyness and giving me a seemingly off handed hope of talking on the phone…one day. It has been almost two weeks. The main concern causing the crisis in Marcus’s faith (from what I can gather) was Christians (or Evangelicals) and how they have been responding or behaving lately in the political world. I got the impression that my friend perhaps blames Christians for the nomination of Donald Trump and the ensuing shockwave of “executive orders” that seem to come from his pen in the White House every day. This reality has caused him to evaluate if he should even be a Christians any longer, he no doubt is at least ashamed of Christians it seems. Though Marcus’s concerns are understandable I continue to say in my mind each passing day as I wait for a return call, “When are you going to call me, friend?” I have begun to wonder if the reason why he has not called is not because of busyness alone but because he is concerned by what I might say. I might say something that may cause him to once again re-evaluate what he has been already re-evaluating and so it is just easier to stay way, to stay busy.

My last text to Marcus was, “Things we are busy with determine our paths.” Or I guess I should say, take us from them…

There is a popular story in the Gospels (Matthew, 9:1-7, Mark 2:1-12, Luke 5:17-26) about a man that was so in need of healing from a physical problem that his four friends dug a whole in a roof of a house just to give him access to Jesus. Jesus at this time was becoming so popular and gaining so much attention because of His ministry that people where crowding around him where ever he went, this time happening to be at a house in town. When the man’s friends lowered him down to meet Jesus He responded with, “My child, your sins are forgiven.” This response is so interesting when I think about it. It is obvious that the man was not looking for forgiveness but for a physical change to occur. Moreover, his friends did not go through all of that effort of climbing up a roof and lowering him down to just have him receive forgiveness. They all wanted a physical change and they wanted it very intensely by seeing the effort they put forth. However, Jesus focuses on the heart and the spiritual state of it before the physical circumstances of the man’s body here in this story. He always does this by the way in any challenge or concern we place before Him or just keep to ourselves. He will do the same if you “lowered” before him the very real and serious issues today in the country, world, or in your personal life be it Black Lives Matter, the Muslim Ban, the border wall in Mexico, Women’s Rights, etc. He will always respond first with, “Your sins are forgiven.” Why? Thankfully to the paralyzed man in need of healing Jesus did eventually heal him of his physical issue. However,  I tell you before He healed him of his physical problems Him healing the man of the spiritual issues in His life was far better. Jesus didn’t lose course. Jesus isn’t distracted.

If you are a Christian contemplating what role to have in the many social movements happening today I want to remind you of the first ask that Jesus gave as our foremost Social Activist. Before Jesus started His ministry and before it became so popular He first said of everyone to, “…Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of God has come near…” (Matthew 4:17). Why would Jesus ask this as the first requirement? Because He knew that all movements involve people and it is the heart of people that is the problem of all social issues plaguing society and it always will be. Not a different government alone, not a new law, not better coffee and more coffee shops or more free trade, but people. Any change that happens must come from first humbling ourselves and our heart’s to avoid the trap of anger, bigotry, arrogance, and violence towards others that do not have the same stance as us. The activity on social media and the behavior of political leaders, local leaders, and conversations I’ve had locally are not convincing me that we are a humble people looking to understand the other and listen to God with how to respond to the other.

I have seen a troubling trend in talking with not just “Marcus” but a number of associates I know about political issues. The trend is that the more they have focused on those issues it has not brought peace but frustration and if they are followers of Christ it has taken their focus away from running the race. The good is always the enemy of the best. I am not saying to not be involved in social movements that are aimed at bringing good changes to our country.  I am not saying to ignore the oppressed, overlooked, and exploited. No. I want a better world just as much as all of those that sacrifice to make it better. Jesus did too. I am only saying to beware of a good becoming the enemy of the best. Paul speaks along these same lines in his letter to the Church in Corinth asking them to be aware of teachers (or movements) that are ultimately designed to drive them away from knowing Christ and making Christ Himself known. He says:

But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no wonder that his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. In the end they will get the punishment their wicked deeds deserve.”

~ 1 Corinthians 11:14-15

Satan disguises himself in good causes, in light, to only lead us away into further darkness. And what does that darkness look like? Among many things it is the belief that we can make our world perfect by having everyone heard, everyone content, and everyone feel as though they are treated fair and equally. This task seems more impossible than believing that Christ rose from the dead when you think about it, when you look at social media or just recount the last time you discussed with friends what you should all eat for dinner last weekend. Getting all to agree is impossible.  Sorry. You know it and I know it.  However, why do we believe this will ever happen by the power of human tolerance, politics, good nature, etc? Moreover, if by some hypothetical chance we achieve perfect peace on earth it is over the moment the earth passes or the heart stops beating. It is all fleeting. It does not last. This is the great deception that is threatening society and even followers of Christ, a belief in a perfect world to come that is being ruined by harsh words by president Trump and his executive orders. But if Trump is your worry then remember that he is but a man and he too shall pass. Like Obama.

The hare never made it across the finish line because of always looking to the right or left to what else seemed more fun at the time. Nothing is fun about humility.  Nothing is fun about repenting and admitting that we do not have it all figured out, that we do not know the whole picture. We all just want to make a difference and there are so many ways to do that, I know. However, if we forget the main goal as a follower of Christ, we will lose it all. We will lose our souls, and the Enemy will win. I encourage you as fellow brothers and sisters to get back on the path if you have strayed away. I encourage you to ask Christ Himself if He would reign over what movement or stance that is burning your heart in today’s struggles and for Him to lead you in humility. And if He gives you a path to take then take it steady and true like the turtle, unwaveringly, until the end. No other cause will last in the end but God and His Will for this planet.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.”

~ Hebrews 12:1-2

Have peace in God brothers and sisters. And the same goes for me.



-->

Comments